Here's my basic understanding of rugby:
- Each team goes in for a big group hug and plays cat and mouse with the ball.
- Once someone grabs the ball, it's complete chaos and everyone runs around with no real purpose.
- You cannot throw the ball forward, only backward. This seems counterproductive.
- If you get bored, you can casually kick the ball down the field.
- Once you get the ball in the special end zone thing, you have to touch it to the ground...running around and dancing in the end zone doesn't count.
- Making it into the end zone gains 5 points, making a field goal gains 2. Haven't figured out if they have something like a safety yet.
- There's a field position called "Number 8" and I'm still trying to decide what they do.
- There are no pads or protection, no stopping of the clock, and no whining.
So I guess I didn't really learn much, but it was exciting. The one thing that was missing was all the good ads.